Thursday, March 22, 2012

Not as bad as you think (?)

Maybe. Maybe not.

I recently read "Lost to the West: The Forgotten Byzantine Empire That Rescued Western Civilization" by Lars Brownworth.

Without writing a review I'll just say it was time well spent. Short, sweet, readable. I'll be passing it along to my college/military children as recommended reading. Hopefully it will displace some small portion of the tripe and fractured fairytales being taught as fact in our institutions of "higher" learning.

Oops, did my right wing just pop out there? Pardon me whilst I tuck that back in... Happens a lot in an election year.

Did'ja know the Roman Empire lived on a 1000 years after the city of Rome fell? While we think of that era as the Byzantine Empire that is a fairly recent appellation. They thought of themselves as Roman and their empire as the Roman Empire right up to the fall of Constantinople in the 1400's.

Somehow this American Legion online article connected to that in my jumbled mind.

The Myth of America's Decline

A lesson from Byzantium, err... Roman Empire -- and Yogi Berra. It ain't over til it's over.

No comments: