Monday, March 12, 2012

Warrior, Poet, Gentleman

Last week saw the untimely passing of one Captain Carroll LeFon, USN Ret. aka Neptunus Lex blogger extraordinaire.

Lex was a gentleman. I was raised by one and was reminded of much of my upbringing by Capt LeFon's example. He was the same age as I and classmates with my childhood math cram buddy. Yet Lex outstripped me in many measures of maturity. I took a "lower slower" career route through vo-tech to an A&P, then enlisted service and later, finally, completing a B.S. while finishing active duty. Those things ...toughened me in ways I am thankful for but also roughened me making me unsuitable for some roles and places. Something of my upbringing was put to the rear.

Capt LeFon's temperate example online was a bit of "iron sharpening iron" on me and a reproof by example for which I am grateful. I am better for knowing him from a distance. Titus 2:6 says to the effect "older men teach younger men to be temperate." In this case not older but more mature passed on the lesson.

Something written by a graduate of Canoe U from an earlier era comes to mind...

"Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide the lubrication where people rub together. Often the very young, the untraveled, the naive, the unsophisticated deplore these formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and scorn to use them. No matter how "pure" their motives, they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not work too well at best." -- Robert Heinlein --


Lex was a man of faith. In keeping with his gentlemanly ways he was not overtly evangelistic. Rather he was a man of quiet faith. The sort whose way of life could cause the unbeliever to ask him to "give account of the hope that is within" (I Peter 3:15,16).

So to a brother in arms and a brother in faith I say no goodbye but rather, "Til then."

No comments: