Friday, August 22, 2008

Wheelguns rule



Been too long since my last range trip. As noted earlier I made it out for some therapy.

I didn't have much time to spend at the range so I just did some coin tosses to narrow down the firearm options. The winners were a couple semi-auto pistols -- my S&W 22A (22 caliber) and 9mm Browning High Power (genuflect).

Once again I'm struck by the fundamental reliability advantage of a wheelgun over a semi-auto. No Tap/Rack drills required when a fail to feed or eject occurs.

Got a revolver? Pull the trigger. That is all. Misfire? Pull the trigger. That is all.

Well today that wheelgun prejudice was reinforced. I expect any 22LR to periodically misfire. Even with a 100% performing pistol the state of 22 rimfire primer quality is pretty poor.

What shocked me today was when my ultra reliable BHP failed to eject properly. More than once! That never happens with my BHP. Never. NEVER. It is hands down my most trusted semi-auto. Not sure what's up this time. It was clean and lubed. Mags were clean. hmmm...

Only 2 things I can think of that changed. One is the ammo I was using; Remington 115gr JHP are an uncommon load for me to shoot. Usually it's WWB (Winchester White Box) 115gr FMJ or 147gr JHP.

The other thing is I've changed (corrected) my grip recently to a higher grip as taught here in this video.

Well shucks. Looks like I'll have to spend some more time at the range sorting it all out. Don't throw me in that briar patch! :-)

Which brings up full circle (yes, I'll take the pun) to the title of this post. When the chips are down wheelguns still rule. That's my prejudice. 95% of the time the handgun closest to my hand is a revolver (or as a backup to a semi-auto). I'm just old fashioned that way I s'pose.

Maybe the tupper guns are more reliable and that explains their popularity. Or maybe they're just less expensive and have the firearm equivalent of a GUI interface for modern Law Enforcement types who aren't always the sharpest tools in the drawer when it comes to firearms operation, maintenance and training. Dunno. I just haven't gone down that path yet. The S&W MP series feels good in my hand. Either way most tupperguns strike me as soulless pieces of disposable mass production, two steps removed from the weapons fantasy role player aisle at Toys R Us. Tupper guns vs blue and wood -- but I digress. That's a whole 'nother topic.