Sunday, August 24, 2008

Daddy date and an "ah-hah" moment.

Front sight. Presss....

The order of the day yesterday was to be afternoon at the beach and a birthday dinner there for a friend's college age daughter. As the drive plan and car was getting organized, Boo (daughter #3) quietly asked me if the two of us "could go shooting or something instead." Well bless my soul. Don't throw me in that briar patch. The rest of the crew went west. The two of us went east to the range for a "daddy/daughter date."

Yesterday we'd been every which way and all over the county with kids activities and odd jobs. My sense is that Boo being a quieter sort (except when she's in a mood to ham it up/do skits) just didn't feel up to the additional crowd time. It'd been a bit hectic yesterday for me so I understood her feeling.

It started early for me with a drive to the Olympic Training Center in Otay for a 0800 scrimmage with the Divine Miss M's soccer team. Nice facility -- those are some beautiful soccer pitches. Just need to keep an eye peeled for rattlers if the ball goes into the brush. Then home to catch up on some odd jobs and prep online with church treasurer for a financial presentation Sunday.

We took the 22 revolvers to the range. This was Boo's first time with a revolver. Up to this point it's been 22 rifles and a 22 semi-auto pistol. I let her do the honors and be the first to initiate Preciousssss.

Fill 'er up!


She had a bit of a learning curve with the revolver grip and working the cylinder release. Double action is still too much for her grip so she had to learn (and remember) to cock the hammer for each shot. Her first attempt was all over the paper at 7 yds.


I moved the target back to 5 yards and she steadily improved there.


After a box of 22LR through the Nickeled kitgun I set her up with the blued full size model 17. Even with the extra weight she was more comfortable with the larger grip (and shot even better).

THAT's what I'm talking about! You go girl!

Just for kicks I set her up and taught her to run a failure to stop drill (aka Mozambique drill)on a profile target. Two shots to center mass followed by one to the head (repeat).

That was an "ah-hah" moment for her. Said she after that with some realization dawning, "I could protect myself."


She'd had enough after 3 boxes of 22 LR and enduring the muzzle blast from the mall ninja 44 mag autoloader in the next lane. I had words with him about sweeping us with his muzzle while trying to clear his action -- that's a whole 'nother topic. grrrrrr

We had several hours still. Everyone was still at the beach so we went for a movie together (The Longshots -- by the way a good little family flick based on a true story) and a drive through burrito on the way home.

Quality time? Quantity has a quality all it's own.

No comments: