Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's "Epi" time of year!

The light's a bit harsh in this shot but it should give you an idea of the size of the Epiphyllum bloom.

Epiphyllum (aka Desert Orchids) have quite a following here in San Diego -- The climate is ideal here. These engender an almost cult-like obsession with some folks. I had a friend who had a small (ahem) collection of over 150 plants. Sort the way I feel about tools and firearms I suppose...

Anyhoo, this is my kind of plant. This is a plant that thrives on neglect. However, you need to pay attention this time of year. It's like driving through a small town in West Texas. Don't blink, you might miss it.

The blooms are spectacular, but, come and go fast. There are (I am told) varieties that only bloom momentarily at night. I have nothing so exotic as that -- just your run of the mill plants that set a nice bloom for a day or two. My favorite are the deep red blooms this plant puts on. Tick tock goes the clock. Waiting, waiting, any day now...

If you're interested the San Diego Epiphyllum Society is a great resource. link

No comments: