Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thanks for the pain

In been quite a few years now for me of backpain and related issues along life's way (sciatica, back surgery,etc).

Somewhere along the line I got to where I was able to begin to thank God for the pain. Not like that attitude had been a goal or anything for me...

It was more of a growing realization of the good in my life (esp, my spiritual life) that was coming about as a result of the pain. In turns out that back pain has been something of catalyst for a personal revival -- revival typically starts with confession and repentance. "Refiner's Fire" I s'pose...

I was reminded of this today while reading a daily devotion from Psalm 119:75
"I know, O LORD, that Thy judgements are righteous, And that in faithfulness Thou has afflicted me."

Pain has resulted in more time on my knees (literally the only position sometimes that was comfortable). That position has become a place of more regular prayer, introspection/confession and bible reading. It took the pain to get me back where I need to be -- on my knees.

Never woulda thought I'd be thankful for this experience.
Don't get the idea I'm volunteering for more of it either. :-)
That's a faith thing too
"And God is faithful, he will not allow you to be tempted beyond that which you are able." I Cor 10:13

Thanks for that!

No comments: