Monday, June 16, 2008

Words to live by



"A man's got to know his limitations." Harry Callahan

I'll know in the morning if I exceeded mine.

Was feeling good today. Today was probably as good as I've felt since back surgery 3 years ago. Somehow later in the day I got tangled up with a new (ancient) big wheel walk behind mower. Boys and their toys I suppose. Off I went down the hill into the weed patch in 90+ degree weather.

Round and round over gopher holes.
Round and round into gopher holes.
Ancient drive cogs slipping on the drive wheels. Testosterone surging, mindlessly muscling a steel beast through dead vetch and weeds, unsticking it as it alternately gagged on a load of dead grass or stopped moving when the drivetrain couldn't hack the grade.

Soaked. Sweat. Pouring. Air. More air. Suddenly. Sanity: inspite of testosterone induced insanity and the thrill of a revving old flathead 4-stroke.

Wonder how much progress all that back and postural therapy has really provided. I should know in the morning. ;-)

"A man's got to know his limitations." Indeed.

Words to live by.